Wednesday, March 9, 2011

How to Be the Best Babysitter in the World!

Yes the world!  Just take my advice, and you can be the best babysitter in the world!  Why would you want to be a babysitter?  I do it full time, but nonetheless it is an awesome part-time job too! It is a fun, loving, and good paying gig.  If you do it right, you will have tons of jobs lined up.  You will find jobs that are two hours after work/school, occasional weekends, some mornings, and full days.  It is something you can do in your free time, and a great way to make some extra dough.

I have been babysitting for twelve years (I started as a mother's helper when I was 12-years-old, I'm not that old).  So today I will blog what I have learned from my experience, so you can use it and be THE BEST BABYSITTER IN THE
WORLD
!

1) Get on the child's level: Literally, get down on your hands and knees and play with them! Like girls, kids just want to have fun. If you play with them, they will like you. It's that easy!  If the children like you, then the parent(s) will like you and want you to come back.

2) Be loving yet stern:  A child wants to be around someone who is caring, gentle, and loves them.  However, you cannot let them take advantage of you.  Learn to say no, and make sure to discipline the child.  Trust me, children will still adore you if you discipline them, they need it.

3) Bring toys: Bring fun, age appropriate toys and games for the kids to play with.  Kids get bored easily, yet they get excited easily too.  If you bring new toys for them to play with, they will be so happy and might even forget mommy and daddy are leaving.

4) Be CPR and First Aid certified:  Also, you need to have a background check and at least three references.  If the parent doesn't know you, this proves that you are not a scary wacko and they can trust you with their most prized possession(s). 

5) Leave your worries at the door: Happy babysitter equals happy child.  Sometimes children can detect if you are in a bad mood, and that can put them in a bad mood.  Plus, no one wants someone with issues watching their child.  So PLEASE leave your problems behind.  We all have them, and it's hard, but don't bring your worries to work.  One of the reasons why I love working with kids is because they have no problems, and are just so joyful and happy.  When I get to babysitting my problems just seem to disappear! 

Also, try not to be hungry when you get to the house.  Maybe this doesn't apply to everyone, but when I'm hungry I am miserable!  Then it's awkward, can I eat their food?  Do the kids have allergies?  It's just not a good idea (unless the parents tell you to help yourself to anything, still a bit awkward).  Just arrive with a full tummy.

6) Market yourself and TBC: Mommy's have friends!! If the parents love you, they will surely recommend you to their friends, which means more jobs for you (and request to have you back). So, be loved, it should be easy! 


Babysitting is a unique job.  You get close with families, closer than you would with a typical boss.  I have babysat for several families that I have grown so close with that they felt like family to me!  You can watch children grow and mature and it is truly an amazing thing (then at the end of the day they stay with their parents and you can enjoy your life)!

I hope all you babysitters out there benefited from my advice!

Love,
Elyssa and The Babysitting Company

1 comment:

  1. Babysitting is amazing! It is like being a kid all over again. It is fun, enjoyable, and creative. If you love kids, then you must babysit. You won't regret it! Trust me when I say, it is a very rewarding experience.

    ReplyDelete